Michigan Windsurfing

Windsurfing & Stand-Up Paddleboarding in Michigan

Hi im a new windsurfer (or trying to be) in the metro detroit area and i was hoping for some advice. Me and my friend are looking into purchasing some boards ive taken a few lessons while he hasnt taken any but we both plan on taking a couple more before getting boards. ive looked on craigslist but all the deals seem to be on pre-2000 boards which ive heard are very hard to learn on do u have any recommendations for what sort of boards and where i can get a deal on some cheap gear (less than 400 hopefully) ?

thanks

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not sure on what's available. have you tried www.iwindsurf.com Start out big 200+ ltrs for the first summer and then once you've got the basics check out something smaller. perhaps Bic Core 148 litr, as this board will grow with you.
Just had a look there are several starboard starts ( at 220 ltrs) on I windsurf in your price range. these are good learning boards and you will likely be able to flip them for close to what you paid in a year. Don't get stuck on a sports car before you learn to drive a bus I wish I would have had access to one of these when I starterd windsurfing..
thanks a lot. the only problem is these boards are 400 on there own i was looking for more the whole setup. is something like this a good deal? http://annarbor.craigslist.org/boa/1800552889.html i heard that if u took enough lessons you could probably skip over some of the larger boards which would be nice seeing as the larger boards are newer and therefore more expensive. and what about this http://annarbor.craigslist.org/boa/1800250367.html
Max,
I'd echo everything Don said on this one. You'll likely have a very frustrating time learning on small gear. Get a fairly modern wide board and you'll learn sail and have more fun much more quickly. Where do you think you'll sail most often? Maybe we can put you in touch with some locals.
Also, check the WTB and 4 sale forum on this site - you can post what you're looking for there.
i think ill be sailing in the metro beach area maybe cass lake the most. my neighbor actually runs a windsurfing website (sailboardalley.com i believe). i talked to him but he seemed to think it was too challenging trying to buy used gear or at least thought i would have trouble with it which was right but he suggested buying all new gear that costs around 1500$. thats nowhere near in my budget
I've never met the owner of Sailboard Alley and just discovered it myself. I'd like to meet him.

Jeannie and I sail out of a green Ford van. We sail at metro sometimes, and Cass sometimes (although not at Cass on weekends during the boating season). Jeannie's more recognizable as one of the few women who windsurf. If you see us, please stop and introduce yourself and we'll introduce you others.
There's a guy at Cass, Bob Shoen, who I think does lessons and also pops in on the MI Windsurf, Yahoo group. You can contact him there if you like.

Also, Don is so helpful, that it might be worth a road trip to meet him out at Rondeau some time!
thanks a lot i'll definitely look into contacting Bob Shoen and if i see you around i surely will that would be great.
Hi Max From what I understand e-rocks are in the 85 ltr range. This will not support you if you are standing on it. You will need at least twice that volume. Also that technology is twenty years old so the masts might be questionable and the sails might be dacron. I would steer well clear of this deal. Check with Brian (the site builder) for upcoming swap meets in your area. There are several upcoming in the Toronto (Canada) area. Silent Sports or Board Sports. There may me one at Rondeau Bay (South of Chatham Ont) on July the 3rd. Board Sports isa having a demo day that day at Rondeau as well.
Also keep and eye on the "for sale" section of this blog something may come up. I would say the Board and fin are the main thing you want to look at the sail, mast and boom you can usually get at fairly good prices. Especially if you don't need brand new stuff. Also keep and eye out for the "Bic" Core series when bic introduced the Techno's ( now the core's are very similar only upgraded technology) they were used by ABK clinics for learning platforms for a reason.
alright so u would suggest spending most of the money on a good beginner board and then maybe skimp on the sails?
right on!! I was in Rondeau bay on Saturday and a friend of mine gave away a decent 7.0M sail, I repeat gave away!!!! I also have used stuff I no longer need.
alright great ill look around for a good board. im thinking i might get a cheap hobie cat sailboat this summer and then try and piece together some windsurfing gear over the summer as well maybe for next year because it seems like it might b a longer process than i was hoping for seeing as i want to get a lot of time on the water in over this summer
i just found this on craigslist good deal or too old? http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/1801539220.html

RSS

Forum

Wind Talk

Anything Related to Wind and Water Sports

287 discussions

Session Report

Post About a Recent Session, or Plan One

145 discussions

Windsurfing Launches

Post Info, Directions, and Photos about Launches in MI and the Great Lakes

18 discussions

Gear 4 Sale or WTB

Sell Your Gear, or Find Stuff

173 discussions

DaNews

Hit Count Since 4-7-2010

© 2024   Created by Brian.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.ningbar {background-image:url("http://webdeveloper.com/animations/holiday/christmas/gifs/xmas_light.gif");background-repeat:repeat-x;} div#xn_bar_menu:before{ content: ""!important; position: absolute!important; width: 100%!important; height: 35px!important; left: 0%!important; z-index:9999!important; background: url(http://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/964749975?profile=original); background-repeat:repeat-x!important; top: 25px!important;}