Michigan Windsurfing

Windsurfing & Stand-Up Paddleboarding in Michigan

Hello Everyone,

Floridian here ready to test out my gear in some cold water! 

My dry-suit should be here tomorrow and I am probably going to do some windsurfing this weekend. Can anyone suggest a good place for my first cold water run that is not too far from Ann Arbor? I was thinking about heading to Lake Michigan, but I am not sure I will go that far. Is there anyone sailing this weekend that I may be able to join? I have never been in waters this cold and thought it might be as a good idea to join someone else so that I can learn the ropes.

Thanks,

Huck

Views: 1001

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Huck, Muskegon Lake at the Muskegon channel or Pere Marquette Park is a good location for early season windsurfing. Sailing on Muskegon Lake or Inside the Pier arms on Lake Michigan are the best early season spots. Muskegon Lake is warmer than Lake Michigan this time of year and safer. Thanks, Chris

Chris,

Awesome, thanks!

This might be too late, but another Ann Arborian here! As the weather get warmer, let me know if you are ever going out in the area. I would love to join.

Thanks.

Ali, 

I often ride muscamot bay on Harsens Island. Which is a few hours from Ann Arbor I have only ridden a few seasons but as of now I only ride by myself. I live here so if anyone would like to check it out I would be more than happy to ride with them. The bay is very large and only 3 or 4 feet deep so if you ever get in trouble self rescue is very easy.

Huck,

I live in Ann Arbor and sail Lake Lansing, and sometimes Lake St. Clair Metropark and Lake MI Grand Haven, South Haven...  Lake St Clair is only 1hr away, Sterling St. Park on Lake Erie is pretty close too but I haven't sailed there yet.  There are also a couple inland lakes SW of Ann Arbor that are supposed to be good for west wind.  Last week I sailed Merritt Island, FL on a family trip.  Let me know if you're looking for someone to sail with sometime.

Pete 

Pete and Ben,

Sorry, for the delayed response.  Thanks for the info, I would definitely be interested in riding with you guys!

So, I actually went out on April 10 to Sterling State Park...here is a quick trip report:

Really rough day. Besides temperatures in the low 30s and hailing, the water was a brisk 42 and the wind was blowing at a steady 20 with gusts pushing almost in the 30s. The waves were what killed me though, even though I have surfed in 7 foot waves at Lido and had no major issues (definitely pushed my skill level but manageable). Out at Sterling that day the waves were probably 4-6 footers, but the wavelength was very short and the water was very uneven.....I got my ass kicked and snapped a fin in about 20 minutes. 

Anyways, just picked up a new fin and ready to ride!

See you out there,

Huck

Hi Pete,

I noticed on your post that you live in Ann Arbor.  Do you have any recommendations or suggestions for someone who lives in Ann Arbor and would like to learn to windsurf?  I've never been before, and I don't have any equipment.  Do you know of any places that offer lessons, rent equipment, etc?

Thanks a lot,

-ira

Hi Ira,

The Michigan sailing club has some windsurfing gear and might have members that teach windsurfing.  http://michigansailingclub.org/

A friend of mine, Mark Beauman, offers lessons and usually has some used gear for sale.  He lives near Lake Lansing, which is actually where I sail most often.  His number is 517-927-9498.

If you're interested in meeting up sometime in A2 I could show you how to rig up the gear and go over the basics of how to windsurf on dry land.  All windsurf lessons start on land anyway and it could give you a head start for when you take a full lesson.  My number is 517-256-2339.

Pete

Hey Pete,

Thanks a lot for the reply.  My friend and I are actually scheduled to take a first lesson from Mark tomorrow!  So we'll see how that goes ...

I appreciate the offer to go over the basics.  Hopefully if the lesson(s) goes well, we'll see you on Lake Lansing sometime this summer!

Regards,

-ira

Hey all,

if there are any windsurfing fanatics still out there in 2019, lets talk. I want to get back into the sport at some point. My gear is old and terrible. It was well used and I've made the best of it. I wish I had the kind of rental gear I used at Hatteras NC many years ago. That stuff was great. Of course the conditions were perfect as well. I have some time off, and was thinking about just going down there camping it on my own. (Wife is not interested but supportive). I'm considering investing some time to the activity MI instead.

Cris (42m)

RSS

Forum

Wind Talk

Anything Related to Wind and Water Sports

287 discussions

Session Report

Post About a Recent Session, or Plan One

145 discussions

Windsurfing Launches

Post Info, Directions, and Photos about Launches in MI and the Great Lakes

18 discussions

Gear 4 Sale or WTB

Sell Your Gear, or Find Stuff

173 discussions

DaNews

Hit Count Since 4-7-2010

© 2024   Created by Brian.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.ningbar {background-image:url("http://webdeveloper.com/animations/holiday/christmas/gifs/xmas_light.gif");background-repeat:repeat-x;} div#xn_bar_menu:before{ content: ""!important; position: absolute!important; width: 100%!important; height: 35px!important; left: 0%!important; z-index:9999!important; background: url(http://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/964749975?profile=original); background-repeat:repeat-x!important; top: 25px!important;}