Michigan Windsurfing

Windsurfing & Stand-Up Paddleboarding in Michigan

I'm heading to Florida this winter for a few days sailing trip. I'm camping at Fort De Soto. I'm looking for some sun and some wind. But apart from that, should be nice respite from Michigan's winter climate.

http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/camping.htm

I've decided against hotels and going camping. I be driving 17 hours from Michigan to get there over two days. Check in is on 1/26/2020 and heading home 2/1/2020. It would be interesting to make the trip (or any trip) with folks sharing my windsurf interest from the area. But at the same time, I appreciate a good solo adventure. I'll be hitting up North Beach for advanced or intermediate lessons and hopefully find other sailors.

There's a bunch launch sites as described by this kite surfer post about the area. I can only hope for a cold front coming through. I'll also bring my light wind board as well. Light wind days are fun for me because I'll cover more distance as opposed to heavier days when I go back and forth at the same spot.

I've heard FDS park and campground is real Florida, and I'm excited to learn what that means

Of course, I can't help myself, I picked up a few new pieces for the trip. These were used consignment items from Windance with very attractive pricing. I got a Fanatic 109l Triple X, because my only other short board is a Seatrend slalmon board from mid to early 90's and 90l. I wanted something a bit more floaty and good for chop and waves.

So I tried using this old 4.7 Gaastra over the summer, and figured it's about to blow out a panel. It's completely de-laminated as you can see.  Goya Bonzai 5.3 at $160 seems just right as a replacement. The Gorge guys were laughing that this will be my high wind sail. I hope there's some windy days during my trip :-))

Yeah this stuff is geared towards wave sailing and Tampa isn't know for the surf. But my thought is gain skills on small surf and flat water so I can tackle Lake Michigan with more confidence next Fall.

Resource I've collected about

Be good.

Cris

Views: 369

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ugh... the silence. Good thing I'm fine going solo. Maybe I'll post about my adventure here or somewhere else. I'm looking forward to it.

OK, I'll break the silence. Thanks for asking, Chris, but I'll pass.  In the winter, my attention generally turns to skiing.  I'm OK with taking a windsurfing trip to a place with reliable, strong, steady wind, like the Caribbean, but given a choice between Florida and skiing in Utah, I will choose skiing.  Let us know how it goes.

PS - some of the Michigan ski hills are already open.

Thanks Larry. I like cross-country skiing and find MI being mostly flat is a good place for it at pretty much any park or golf course. We got 11" of it on Monday. Too bad my boot binding snapped, so no XC for me until I get new boots. Downhill isn't really my thing. Maybe if I've been to the mountains in Utah I'd be into it. I'm sure it's very fun and radical. Good luck!

Cris,

I've been to Tampa area, Fort Myers area (Pine Island), and Calema Windsurfing on Merrit Island.  Tampa and Merrit Island had the most windsurfers.

I'm using my only time off to go to Bonaire this winter.

Brian

Right on! Let us know how you like Bonaire.

Well, I've been there 10 times.  It's one of the best places in the world to learn new things due to the shallow, warm water and consistent winds.   I'll be taking the ABK clinic with Andy Brandt.

Have fun in Bonaire and in the ABK clinic.  At the risk of sounding like a shameless plug for ABK, I firmly believe that immersive learning from top-notch instructors is the best way to up your game.  Take some pictures to make the rest of us jealous!

I totally agree.   In Michigan there are too many days between sessions, making it hard to progress.

RSS

Forum

Wind Talk

Anything Related to Wind and Water Sports

287 discussions

Session Report

Post About a Recent Session, or Plan One

145 discussions

Windsurfing Launches

Post Info, Directions, and Photos about Launches in MI and the Great Lakes

18 discussions

Gear 4 Sale or WTB

Sell Your Gear, or Find Stuff

173 discussions

DaNews

Hit Count Since 4-7-2010

© 2024   Created by Brian.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.ningbar {background-image:url("http://webdeveloper.com/animations/holiday/christmas/gifs/xmas_light.gif");background-repeat:repeat-x;} div#xn_bar_menu:before{ content: ""!important; position: absolute!important; width: 100%!important; height: 35px!important; left: 0%!important; z-index:9999!important; background: url(http://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/964749975?profile=original); background-repeat:repeat-x!important; top: 25px!important;}