Michigan Windsurfing

Windsurfing & Stand-Up Paddleboarding in Michigan

Hi all! I am new to the forum and I have not surfed Blue Lagoon and hear that this is one of the the best places around the Macomb County area... Does anyone have any reports of success there? What wind direction is preferable for surfing there?  Does anyone go there regularly?  I would love to be able to meet some of the other windsurfing enthusiasts around here!

Views: 334

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Chris - welcome to Michigan Windsurfing,

Blue Lagoon windsurfing

Pros:

Generally a grassy rigging area.

Generally park and rig less than 20 yards from WS launch.

Fairly clean water and generally lite weeds.

Shallow for 50 - 80 yards out.

Good to sail on a NW, N, NE, E.

Flat water on the inside with 2-3 foot swell on outside during 15-25 mph winds.

Separate areas for kiters and windsurfers.

Generally a good group of windsurfers show up on a forecasted big NW day.

Cons:

Can get crowded with boaters on hot weekend days.

Currently they are dredging the marina and depositing the spoils near windsurfing parking spots.

Onshore winds can create voodoo chop.

Parking is limited to 5-6 vehicles while the dredging is on going. Get there early

A fee of $30.00 may be charged. This will get you a Blue Lagoon sticker good for the season. (well worth it)

Hope this helps, Also check out video at   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4S4qeGnUTA

See you there!

Tom

Thanks for the info Tom!  And I have searched some of the Blue Lagoon videos and DEFINITELY want to try it out!  The person responsible for teaching me the sport says it is highly preferred to just about anywhere else! As long as you think that I can still get into the marina and it could still be worth going for even though there is the dredging going on currently I will head out there ASAP! If not I will surf Metro until (hopefully) they finish dredging before it gets too cold to surf!  I just don't want to get to Lagoon and realize there is no place to park or rig.  The upside is that Metro isn't too far away from there so I will probably still be able to surf either way!  

Side note; that video makes me jealous of all that high quality gear they had rigged and the fun they were having!  I have only had a couple good sessions this summer and I love when we are lucky enough to have a consistent wind speed/ fast day like that! I have been going much more this summer than ever before and I am excited to have the opportunity to surf with other enthusiasts! 

See you on the water,

Chris

Hello,

New surfer to the group.  Does anyone know if you can still WS out of the blue lagoon?  I windsurfed from the Metro beach jet ski launch today and it wasn't that bad, but not great, I did however just start three weeks ago to the sport so I'm defiinately looking for some input.

Thanks, Dave

RSS

Forum

Wind Talk

Anything Related to Wind and Water Sports

287 discussions

Session Report

Post About a Recent Session, or Plan One

145 discussions

Windsurfing Launches

Post Info, Directions, and Photos about Launches in MI and the Great Lakes

18 discussions

Gear 4 Sale or WTB

Sell Your Gear, or Find Stuff

173 discussions

DaNews

Hit Count Since 4-7-2010

© 2024   Created by Brian.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.ningbar {background-image:url("http://webdeveloper.com/animations/holiday/christmas/gifs/xmas_light.gif");background-repeat:repeat-x;} div#xn_bar_menu:before{ content: ""!important; position: absolute!important; width: 100%!important; height: 35px!important; left: 0%!important; z-index:9999!important; background: url(http://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/964749975?profile=original); background-repeat:repeat-x!important; top: 25px!important;}