Michigan Windsurfing

Windsurfing & Stand-Up Paddleboarding in Michigan

I currently live in Oregon and sail in the Gorge, but I eventually plan to move back to Michigan and do my sailing on Lake Michigan.  I have a 105L Mistral Screamer in Mich. with sails from 4.2 to 6.7.  I want to pick up a bigger board and sail for lighter wind days.  I was thinking something in the 120-135L range and a 7.5-8.5 sail.  I would probably use my 6.7 on this board too, and limit the 105L board to 6.0 or below.  

Looking for feedback from Lake Michigan sailors.  Does this sound about right for a second board/sail to pair up with my current gear.  Wondering if I need to go even bigger.

I am 6'1" 200lb.  My primary gear for the gorge is a 105L Mistral Flow, 95L Bic Saxo, and 87L Naish with 4.0 - 5.7 sails.  I've sailed in Lake Michigan a few times and I've always felt like I needed to rig big to have the power I need to get through the nasty shore break.

Thanks for any input.

-Jim

Views: 205

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jim,

Here's what I've enjoyed using on Lake Michigan with different wind strengths.  I'm 155lbs.  I don't mind using a big sail in light wind on Lake MI because the wind is so steady compared to the inland lakes.  If you want to maximize your days on the water during the summer I recommend having some big lightwind slalom gear or a windSUP.  I tend to use a relatively big board for added security if the wind dies and I have to schlog and tack my way back in the short wavelength chop.  

Wind 5-12mph: 11'4" windSUP with 5.2

12-18mph: 144L 85cm wide AHD slalom board with 7.5 or 9.5 and 62cm fin

14-22mph: 125L 67cm wide 2006 Goya fxr freeride with lots of rocker, 6, 6.9, 7.5 and 30, 34, 37, 44cm fins

20-30mph: JP FSW 93 with 4.7, 5.2 and 26, 30cm fins

Pete

I don't think I want to go bigger than about an 8.5 sail. I will do other things when the wind is marginal. Sounds like I do need to be thinking toward the higher end of board size range though.

RSS

Forum

Wind Talk

Anything Related to Wind and Water Sports

287 discussions

Session Report

Post About a Recent Session, or Plan One

145 discussions

Windsurfing Launches

Post Info, Directions, and Photos about Launches in MI and the Great Lakes

18 discussions

Gear 4 Sale or WTB

Sell Your Gear, or Find Stuff

172 discussions

DaNews

Hit Count Since 4-7-2010

© 2024   Created by Brian.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.ningbar {background-image:url("http://webdeveloper.com/animations/holiday/christmas/gifs/xmas_light.gif");background-repeat:repeat-x;} div#xn_bar_menu:before{ content: ""!important; position: absolute!important; width: 100%!important; height: 35px!important; left: 0%!important; z-index:9999!important; background: url(http://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/964749975?profile=original); background-repeat:repeat-x!important; top: 25px!important;}