Michigan Windsurfing

Windsurfing & Stand-Up Paddleboarding in Michigan

We were in the water this morning around 10 am I on 4.5 and 85, Ann on 4.0 and 90. Great screaming runs, unusaully flat though. No weeds, no phosphorescent green algae, (Lake Erie has been in the news with this like crazy lately), lots of wind. All in all great day, more to come tomorrow!!!!

Views: 161

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Back out again this afternoon. Brooke Steve and myself. 4.0 and 90, tooo big. didn.t venture out very far oon account of it being slightly side off here. Not sure what we were getting into but hugely gusty as well. big ramps big jumps and not as cold as expected.  session 50,,,, Yeah!!
We had two exciting days on our side too. Yesterday at Metro guys were on 4.7-6.5 and I was on 4.5 and 85L. Wind was really up and down, if you picked your sail based only on the color you probably would have made as good of a choice as if you tried to figure out what was going on out there, but it was a really fun day and I felt dialed... Today we were at Metro again and it was crazy! Base wind 23-25 with gusts close to 40, and a few holes that made it even harder to handle the gusts and the small gear. It Nuked all afternoon. Guys were on 3.2-4.5 and sail choice was mostly based on using whatever was the smallest size you had, I was on 3.5 and 68L, total survival sailing, but I ended up really enjoying my second session....glutton for punishment I guess. Sunny and warm at least.

We managed another one today Mon Oct 17th. Sailed a 3.5 and 90 liters.  There were some holes in it today and I didn't want to spend time waiting for wind in the lulls. I ran a 9 inch fin to keep the 90 from tailwalking and to keep some control in the jibes and the 90 got me through the lulls with flying colours so I didn't spend much time down at all. It was still way too cold to be in the water much! Agreed though had the air temp and water temp been warmer a smaller board would have been a lot more fun for doing jumps, and I would have been in there like a dirty shirt!

I knew people would be out today when I thought I might blow away when I stepped out for lunch! I am jealous, but since 3.5 is my smallest I guess I wouldn't have been able to sail anyway. Is the water actually cold on your side? It's really warm on ours.
Oh yeah!!!!
62 degrees IS warm when the temps are in the 50's. If the water is warmer than the air it always feels warm! Everyone on our side was saying how nice it was that the water is still so warm.
Sorry to break it to you Jeannie but you would have been fine on your 3.5.  I sailed for nearly two hours starting around 3:00 p.m. on a 4.7.  Some of the guys were out earlier on smaller stuff but you would have been fine in the sunny, warm afternoon.
Dan, don't tell me you played hooky today!
Told you earlier I was thinking about it.  Glad I did :-)
Well Dan, like I said previously, I need to change my workdays, so i have weekends mon, tue, and wed! :/~ glad you had a good sesh!

Ok this morning a quick check of yesterdays wind on the Rondeau side revealed it was 30+ gusting close to 40, St. Clair was pretty much 20+ gusting high 20s. The wind coming in off Lake Erie yesterday was quite cool, not sure if the air temp out there got much above the low 50s. At any rate I probably could have sailed at Mitchell's bay on our side and still sailed a 4.5, and been much warmer but then I may have been dodging buck shot from the duck hunters. St. Clair duck hunters shoot at anything on our side, Lake Erie duck hunters are a bit more discriminating at least in Rondeau Bay anyway!

I'll say it again - nobody gets more TOW than Don Ferguson!!!

RSS

Forum

Wind Talk

Anything Related to Wind and Water Sports

287 discussions

Session Report

Post About a Recent Session, or Plan One

145 discussions

Windsurfing Launches

Post Info, Directions, and Photos about Launches in MI and the Great Lakes

18 discussions

Gear 4 Sale or WTB

Sell Your Gear, or Find Stuff

173 discussions

DaNews

Hit Count Since 4-7-2010

© 2024   Created by Brian.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.ningbar {background-image:url("http://webdeveloper.com/animations/holiday/christmas/gifs/xmas_light.gif");background-repeat:repeat-x;} div#xn_bar_menu:before{ content: ""!important; position: absolute!important; width: 100%!important; height: 35px!important; left: 0%!important; z-index:9999!important; background: url(http://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/964749975?profile=original); background-repeat:repeat-x!important; top: 25px!important;}