Michigan Windsurfing

Windsurfing & Stand-Up Paddleboarding in Michigan

Having been in Texas last year, I knew I needed a smaller sail - so I picked up a 3.7 - pretty small for a Michigan sailor, right?  Apparently not small enough for yesterday - here's what NOAA said about the wind here in Corpus Christi yesterday:
Sustained 54 mph with gusts to 63 mph at kcrp ASOS.
I have no idea what you would have needed yesterday (2.0 or less, probably), and quite honestly, I'm not inclined to find out.  We couldn't even *walk* normally in the gusts and everything on the beach was getting sandblasted.  How anyone could rig a sail is beyond me.  Anyway, I guess I'm going to have to decide whether to look for a 3.4, or just quit when the 3.7 doesn't work anymore.

Views: 113

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yikes, sounds like da gorge!

I talked to Dale Cook (Sailworks) one time and he told me that he rigs his 4.7  (or 4.8?) Hucker in up to 55 mph winds!   I've seen him out there on at least 1 m2 bigger than everyone else and absolutely flying, but a 3.0 would be big in those winds.

Mike:  I guess you didn't go to Bonaire this year?

RSS

Forum

Wind Talk

Anything Related to Wind and Water Sports

287 discussions

Session Report

Post About a Recent Session, or Plan One

145 discussions

Windsurfing Launches

Post Info, Directions, and Photos about Launches in MI and the Great Lakes

18 discussions

Gear 4 Sale or WTB

Sell Your Gear, or Find Stuff

173 discussions

DaNews

Hit Count Since 4-7-2010

© 2024   Created by Brian.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.ningbar {background-image:url("http://webdeveloper.com/animations/holiday/christmas/gifs/xmas_light.gif");background-repeat:repeat-x;} div#xn_bar_menu:before{ content: ""!important; position: absolute!important; width: 100%!important; height: 35px!important; left: 0%!important; z-index:9999!important; background: url(http://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/964749975?profile=original); background-repeat:repeat-x!important; top: 25px!important;}