Michigan Windsurfing

Windsurfing & Stand-Up Paddleboarding in Michigan

WOW it's been a windy couple of days. Lake ButtCrack (aka Lake Lansing) was it's gusty/ switchy self serving up some monster 35-40 mpg gusts and going from 10 to 30mph in about 3 seconds. Still it's great to be on the water!! On Easter, Mark B. & I went out early and still made it to Easter dinner. 6.3 Ezzy wave Panther for Mark & 5.5 Ezzy wave for me. We were both on the RRD 110 FSW. Lots of tail walking in the gusts, but the 90lt FSW would have sunk in the holes. Pete came out as we had to leave & went with a 4.7 then re-rigged a 4.2 as it came up BIG later in the afternoon. Great 2 hour session!

Monday was a bit more steady but just as windy. I went 6.3 cause I mistook the slightly offshore wind for lighter than yesterday. Oops!!  Big holes & big gusts! Sailed 90 minutes solo til Pete made it out & we sailed another hour though he caught several shifts & went way upwind. I wished I'd rigged smaller, Pete was jumping & playing in the chop with his 4.7, I was just trying to hang on!! Of course my extra 40lbs of 'ballast' helps keep me on the water. Some seriously scary runs.

5-4 Hyperflex suit, summer booties & glacier gloves kept me warm the entire session. Of course now 5 hours late I'm freezing!!

More wind's forecast for tomorrow but a 10'F drop in temperatures & my sore body will make getting out a challenge. It will be a good test to see how 'hardcore' I really am. Probly end up adding a hood to the mix and maybe a thermos of hot water to pour into my wetsuit when I get cold.

I hope you got some of this wind wherever you were!

Bob Pratt

aka H2Oratt

Views: 28

Reply to This

Forum

Wind Talk

Anything Related to Wind and Water Sports

287 discussions

Session Report

Post About a Recent Session, or Plan One

145 discussions

Windsurfing Launches

Post Info, Directions, and Photos about Launches in MI and the Great Lakes

18 discussions

Gear 4 Sale or WTB

Sell Your Gear, or Find Stuff

172 discussions

DaNews

Hit Count Since 4-7-2010

© 2024   Created by Brian.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.ningbar {background-image:url("http://webdeveloper.com/animations/holiday/christmas/gifs/xmas_light.gif");background-repeat:repeat-x;} div#xn_bar_menu:before{ content: ""!important; position: absolute!important; width: 100%!important; height: 35px!important; left: 0%!important; z-index:9999!important; background: url(http://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/964749975?profile=original); background-repeat:repeat-x!important; top: 25px!important;}