Michigan Windsurfing

Windsurfing & Stand-Up Paddleboarding in Michigan

Hey all,
I'm spending a week in leelanau and planning on sailing! The wind forcast looks promising as well! Does anyone have tips for launch spots? I'm thinking Cathead Bay would be ideal, but access looks challenging to hike gear to the beach. Any info would be helpful.
Thanks!!

Views: 550

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dave - Excellent Map!

Dave,
Just an update on Leelanau windsurf spots. Despite locals telling me I can drive onto the beach at Cathead bay, I could not find access. Every road I was directed to was splattered with keep out and no trespassing signs. I did however find a promising location at Christmas Cove which is just south of Cathead Point. I did not sail it, but it looked fairly sandy, and void of large boulders. Rigging in the public parking lot just above the beach looked feasible. I would give it a try next time in the area during a WSW to NNE

Thanks, Chris. I can't help wonder if some of those "keep out" signs overstep their bounds, but it's not something to be tested on-the-spot. I very seldom get up that way, but checking on Christmas Cove gives me another reason to go. I'll add your comments to the map - glad you found it helpful.

Chris - you might want to try Empire Beach. Good spot to windsurf from in SW and NW winds.

I rig on the grassy south end of  the beach and it's just a short walk to the beach, a good sandy launch. Also fresh water at pump house.

Beware of underwater pilings when launching or coming in.

Also get there early to claim your parking spot -  this is a SUP hotspot if the winds are lite.

Pictured is an early morning session in July. Cool NW winds kept the beach crowd away until noon.

TJ 

Thanks guys! I'll check em out! I sailed off the beach in our backyard today in a southwest on Grand Travers Bay. It was murder getting out past a nasty wind shadow, but once past it was happy sailing!

What a privilege to sail out of your backyard onto Grand Traverse Bay!

I agree! That map is cool! I may try Renalds Road in Leeland for Wednesdays big wind based on Dave's map! Thanks! Dave! And I my hit Empire on my return trip if the wife gives the green light! (Fingers crossed)
And i have to admit, Grand Travers Bay is in my back yard only for the week! And I totally agree! A privilege it is!!! This place is amazing! A visual feast! I'll post some pics when I return to reality.
Another big thanks Dave!!! I spent today at Leeland off Cedar St. for some great sailing, and what a great spot! The wind was a little spotty and not as strong as predicted, but fantastic none the less! Very picturesque spot! Beautiful scenery! The waves were a lot of fun! Waist to shoulder high swells on the outside. And 6.0 wind conditions. I was fortunate to to be joined by my wife and kids as they SUP surfed! An unexpected pleasure. The location was better than expected for them!
Thanks to your map!
We also made the hike at Cathead bay, just to check it out. As you said, way to far to hike gear! It's too bad. A great spot.

Any pics Chris?

Several thousand! Lol! I'll have to pick out a few and post them when I get home.

RSS

Forum

Wind Talk

Anything Related to Wind and Water Sports

287 discussions

Session Report

Post About a Recent Session, or Plan One

145 discussions

Windsurfing Launches

Post Info, Directions, and Photos about Launches in MI and the Great Lakes

18 discussions

Gear 4 Sale or WTB

Sell Your Gear, or Find Stuff

173 discussions

DaNews

Hit Count Since 4-7-2010

© 2024   Created by Brian.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.ningbar {background-image:url("http://webdeveloper.com/animations/holiday/christmas/gifs/xmas_light.gif");background-repeat:repeat-x;} div#xn_bar_menu:before{ content: ""!important; position: absolute!important; width: 100%!important; height: 35px!important; left: 0%!important; z-index:9999!important; background: url(http://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/964749975?profile=original); background-repeat:repeat-x!important; top: 25px!important;}