Michigan Windsurfing

Windsurfing & Stand-Up Paddleboarding in Michigan

I'm down in Glenn (between Saugatuck and S. Haven).  Finally have all my gear with me and I am dying to get out on Lake Michigan for some sailing.  Looking at the forecast for tomorrow (Friday, July29), it looks like there might be some wind if I drive north a bit.  Maybe Muskegon? Maybe Pentwater?  

Anybody out there with some more experience reading the tea leaves around here that could give me some advice on whether it will be worth making a drive tomorrow for some sailing?  And where to go?

I am looking for planing conditions, with my biggest sail being a 6.7 and my biggest board being 135L. 

Thanks, all.

-Jim

Views: 155

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Went windsurfing on Lake Michigan today! I'm sure I was the only windsurfer for 100 miles. There was hardly a breath of wind. But I've been waiting to do this for a LOOOONG time, and there was no way I was going to get skunked.  Out and back once.  Windsurfing is tough in no wind. . .  even on a 135L board.  I haven't uphauled in I don't know how long.  Heading to  Toledo for a niece's wedding tomorrow then back to the big Lake on Sunday.  Hoping for some better conditions.  I won't be going out in zero wind again.

Yesterday I didn't get back from Toledo until late afternoon and it seemed like I had missed any wind.  I was hanging out at the cottage, resigned to another day of no sailing, when a front approached and kicked up the wind from nothing to 25mph+ in 5 minutes.  Rushed down to the beach, rigged up what I had handy which was my 6.8 sail and 135L board and went for it.  Got out and back twice totally overpowered but loving it!  Managed to hit a wave for a nice jump and almost made a jibe.  It was a total rodeo keeping the board under control in those conditions, but what a hoot!  Such potential!  Coming back in through the wave zone is amazing.  Just need a solid windy day and it's going to be blistered hands and noodle legs for me.

Was headed out for another out and back when the lightning started in the distance, so called it a day.

-Jim

RSS

Forum

Wind Talk

Anything Related to Wind and Water Sports

287 discussions

Session Report

Post About a Recent Session, or Plan One

145 discussions

Windsurfing Launches

Post Info, Directions, and Photos about Launches in MI and the Great Lakes

18 discussions

Gear 4 Sale or WTB

Sell Your Gear, or Find Stuff

173 discussions

DaNews

Hit Count Since 4-7-2010

© 2024   Created by Brian.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.ningbar {background-image:url("http://webdeveloper.com/animations/holiday/christmas/gifs/xmas_light.gif");background-repeat:repeat-x;} div#xn_bar_menu:before{ content: ""!important; position: absolute!important; width: 100%!important; height: 35px!important; left: 0%!important; z-index:9999!important; background: url(http://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/964749975?profile=original); background-repeat:repeat-x!important; top: 25px!important;}