Michigan Windsurfing

Windsurfing & Stand-Up Paddleboarding in Michigan

I see a few Northwave sails in the gallery on the site, so I am asking anyone out there who has one, sailed one, or even fondled one what they think about the Northwave brand, as I have not seen a recent specimin in person.  Are they constructed well with attention paid to their finishing (seams, etc.)?  Worth the money?

Thanks.
Dave

Views: 584

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Had 3  in 2000.   In the past year purchased 2.  Sailed  one but not quite windy enough 4.7 ZX, indicator was it had a lot of power, and was light and maneuverable. Wanted to try them again, so doing just that.

I think they do pretty much whats said on the box , cant say it pulled from back/front or exhibited any handling quirks, nice easy to sail.

They are finished nicely, rig smooth,I  didn't have any issue, except the little tie string when you  roll//wrap it up was awkward to use, less than minor.  The have a auto batten system, the adjustment does all the battens at the foot, pull and cinch. This cuts down some weight, I think.

Depending on what type of sail you are looking for they offer, I think 6 sort of different ones, selection takes some digging into which one does what. 

They recommend NO Limitz masts, I used Ezzy, and found nothing lacking. 

The Black Friday sale is on from NorthWave, so ........ 

Iam willing to try  a brand at a attractive price, I would not change multi sails over without some reassurance about its longevity and even resale potential.

Ezzy Hot Sails  Maui, Naish , Northwave, Sailworks, would be on my look at list, with Simmer & Goya as a maybe.

I rig a small sail to play with in my yard, do sail flips and scare the cats,(not on purpose)  I got a Northwave last in Hood River at the club outside Windance for maybe $10,  it sits in the sun at 6250 feet, and has lasted longer than any other.

I think my bottom line would be try a used one thats fairly new. I see some on the East coast, but not many. Very popular in the Gorge

Hi Gary - thanks for the info and comments...l will keep my fingers crossed the quiver gods are nice to me (last time I replaced my quiver it ended up costing me double...a bunch of new windows for the house).

welcome

I was thinking about this a little more, Iam not a Northwave guy, if you post this question on IWindsurf forum

you would undoubtedly receive all A+ replies from those on NW sails  since Moby Dick were a minnow, and made in the Gorge.  only American made sail left, till I make mine next winter( unless I gain my senses)

right now I would consider NW  a B++ sail. 

Ezzy being A +

over the Black Friday sails, I hot another NW, a ZX 6.2, 2013 .

Still impressed with quality, some little things dont quite seem  to rate a A . Its very light with the all in one batten adjusting strap/system.

sailing will be the ticket. NOW have 3 .

RSS

Forum

Wind Talk

Anything Related to Wind and Water Sports

287 discussions

Session Report

Post About a Recent Session, or Plan One

145 discussions

Windsurfing Launches

Post Info, Directions, and Photos about Launches in MI and the Great Lakes

18 discussions

Gear 4 Sale or WTB

Sell Your Gear, or Find Stuff

173 discussions

DaNews

Hit Count Since 4-7-2010

© 2024   Created by Brian.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.ningbar {background-image:url("http://webdeveloper.com/animations/holiday/christmas/gifs/xmas_light.gif");background-repeat:repeat-x;} div#xn_bar_menu:before{ content: ""!important; position: absolute!important; width: 100%!important; height: 35px!important; left: 0%!important; z-index:9999!important; background: url(http://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/964749975?profile=original); background-repeat:repeat-x!important; top: 25px!important;}