Michigan Windsurfing

Windsurfing & Stand-Up Paddleboarding in Michigan

Annabel and I were lucky enough to be vacationing at Traverse City State Park in Traverse City, the week of Aug 3rd to the 11th. Although the wind forecast for the week was anything but motivating, I must say that our stay was wonderful, out the back of the park was the Tart Trail with around 40 miles of paved trail edging Traverse Bay. We did side trips to Sutton's Bay, Elk Rapids, Sleeping Bear Dunes, and finally up Old Mission Peninsula to Bower's Harbor, the site of Saturday's Regatta. With the much appreciated help of Dave Dalquist in finding our way around. The Launch site is out of a Sailing Yacht Club at Bower's Harbor with crystal clear waters running beneath our boards and a sandy bottom to boot, Facilities were very upscale there. As I was not involved in the competition myself I am not sure of the final race results but suffice it to say even for us, the visiting spectators it made for a wonderful relaxing day, I believe there were around 10 entrants with my friend Bernie Pepin being one. A great day made even better by meeting Ted Schweitzer Son of Matt and grandson of Hoyle, without whom my life today would be totally different today I am sure. Ted is as stoked on Windsurfer One Design Boards as anyone could possibly be and passing on the stoke to anyone wiling to accept it! In closing I must urge anyone thinking of travel make this area a priority on your list of "to visit" places and you will in no time see why it is referred to as the "Gem of Michigan".

Views: 229

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the report Don. The TC & Leelanau area is indeed beautiful. We spent two weekends there this summer and thoroughly enjoyed it. Our next goals are to get to an Original Ws'er regatta and also to sail with TJ in Empire!

Don, I sailed many times on Little Glen Lake that is the closest lake in the back ground of this picture.

Shallow, sandy and warm perfect for freestyle crashing.

The skill level for the regatta was quite good, with people refreshing their old freestyle tricks between races that were competitive despite light winds. It's fun getting back on this gear!

Attachments:

RSS

Forum

Wind Talk

Anything Related to Wind and Water Sports

287 discussions

Session Report

Post About a Recent Session, or Plan One

145 discussions

Windsurfing Launches

Post Info, Directions, and Photos about Launches in MI and the Great Lakes

18 discussions

Gear 4 Sale or WTB

Sell Your Gear, or Find Stuff

173 discussions

DaNews

Hit Count Since 4-7-2010

© 2024   Created by Brian.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.ningbar {background-image:url("http://webdeveloper.com/animations/holiday/christmas/gifs/xmas_light.gif");background-repeat:repeat-x;} div#xn_bar_menu:before{ content: ""!important; position: absolute!important; width: 100%!important; height: 35px!important; left: 0%!important; z-index:9999!important; background: url(http://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/964749975?profile=original); background-repeat:repeat-x!important; top: 25px!important;}