Windsurfing & Stand-Up Paddleboarding in Michigan
Hey, the wind forcast looks pretty good for tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone was planning on sailing in the Traverse City area? I usually launch at the acme park East bay, but was thinking of trying TC state park tomorrow. They have a much better beach there. I wouldn't mind trying another spot if I knew someone else would be there. I'll be heading out early aftenoon. Hope to see someone on the water.
Kyle: Wish I'd seen this last night. I've sailed the state park several times on north to east winds; it's a good spot. The township park in Acme has the advantage in north winds in that you don't have to launch straight into shore break, but the bay's wide enough that I've not had problems getting out at the state park. There is a sandbar 30-40' out that you have to get over; I usually walk out to the upwind side and then set out. Rigging area's good at either location; however, as you've noted, the beach is nicer at the state park. This time of year, the one drawback is that they close the changing rooms at the state park, while the Acme park's are still open.
I know Tim Cairns sailed at the state park this morning; he was on a 4.2m/85ltr setup much of the time. I didn't get there until early afternoon when the morning forecast said it would clear, but as happens sometimes, it instead dumped buckets as Tim & I sat in his RV BS'ing, and I never did get out today.
Tim & I both plan in heading back mid-morning, assuming the wind forecast holds true, i.e., 13-21mph and increasing a bit around noon. I'm just hoping the morning warms up quickly.
For Traverse City area conditions, see http://www.waterholic.com/weather/
I feel kinda bad, I ended up staying home because of the rain. I'm not sure I will be able to make it out tomorrow. If I don't have a good sail and thanks for the link.