Michigan Windsurfing

Windsurfing & Stand-Up Paddleboarding in Michigan

Awoke this morning to a rather upbeat windcast for Rondeau Bay. We slipped across the border to The good ol USA to get petrol around 9 and home and breakfast by 10 in time for the Iwindsurf 10 am update and low and behold stronger yet beginning 11 am and holding till around 4 or 5. So with some trepidations we loaded up and ventured up to Rondeau,
The forecast there looked even better than on the open lake so it might be worth a chance). Arrived around noon to some pretty windy conditions but not much wave action and the weeds were looking intimidating but not dangerous! Annabel went out on 6.0 and said whe was very well powered I followed on my 6.5 and we both ran much smaller fins than normal due to the weed beds. Let me tell you "weird" is not the word for that type of sailing, fully powered up and screaming runs at Mach but all the while fearing for your life that there may be something lurking below the surface that might be solid enough to end up making it a hospital trip for you with a broken ankle. We sailed up to the observation tower where we could sail in the weed free areas for the next few hours, all the while knowing that sooner or later we would have to work our way back down wind. Annabel was off and on a screaming fast run downwind to the other side dodging weed beds and quick jibe on the opposite side and another screaming fast run back to the launch area. In honesty I don't think I have ever seen her go quite that fast too bad she wasn't wearing our GPS. Might have made for some interresting numbers.
On a happy note our friend Peter Park, (if you remember was the fellow in the motorcycle accident earlier this summer) appeared driving his minivan (how remarkable a person is this?) and was in very good spirits and joking with us to boot. Thank you all for the well wishes for Peter as they definately appeared to pay off!! Don
ps as the weed bed begins to sink down it is becoming evident that there may be some very fast speed runs here in the very near future so charge up your GPS units and get ready!~~~~~

Views: 31

Reply to This

Forum

Wind Talk

Anything Related to Wind and Water Sports

287 discussions

Session Report

Post About a Recent Session, or Plan One

145 discussions

Windsurfing Launches

Post Info, Directions, and Photos about Launches in MI and the Great Lakes

18 discussions

Gear 4 Sale or WTB

Sell Your Gear, or Find Stuff

172 discussions

DaNews

Hit Count Since 4-7-2010

© 2024   Created by Brian.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.ningbar {background-image:url("http://webdeveloper.com/animations/holiday/christmas/gifs/xmas_light.gif");background-repeat:repeat-x;} div#xn_bar_menu:before{ content: ""!important; position: absolute!important; width: 100%!important; height: 35px!important; left: 0%!important; z-index:9999!important; background: url(http://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/964749975?profile=original); background-repeat:repeat-x!important; top: 25px!important;}