Michigan Windsurfing

Windsurfing & Stand-Up Paddleboarding in Michigan

Ann and I decided to load up and head for Rondeau Bay on Friday afternoon around 1pm, seeing as it was the Canadian long weekend, Ann had Firday off. The forecast for Friday was unimpressive however Saturday (Regatta Day) looked promising. We decided to go up a day early and do some socializing as well as get some exercise in rollerblading and skateboarding, (new pavement on several roads in the park). Friday went well and we re-connected wtih some friends we hadn't seen in a while. We ended the day at The Silver Motel in Blenheim watching a rather nice fireworks display.

Saturday morning we got to the park early to procure a descent parking spot around 8 am, close to the launch area. It wasn't long before many vehicles with windsurfing equipment began to show up but around 9 a thin band of thunderstorms rolled through the area bringing winds in excess of 25 knots to the chargin to some and to the dismay of others.

Ann and I sprung into actions as soon as the storm passed furiously rigging 85 and 90 liter boards and at first a 6.0 and then a 6.5 as the wind began to ebb as the front passed. I was out first on the 6.5 with a 120 liter board and had only about 3 or 4 runs. Ann on the 6.0 was only able to squeez out a run or two.

Back on shore the wind began to build a bit and soon we were off and planning for pretty much what turned into a day fo sailing. At times on 6.5 at others on a 7.5 but well powered for the most part. Meanwhile the Regatta did there thing with heats running pretty much all day.

Andre's son Eric at one point I noticed was down in the water for quite a while so I sailed over to see if he was ok to find he was not proficient at water starts and was unable to uphaul in the waves, I stayed to talk him through and keep him calm for several attempts and I could see he was tiring so it was time to go in and seek some help. Soon the race comittee boat was there to usher him back to shore, but in the meantime I had lost track of Randy who had been sailing with us and I had not seen for at least an hour. So a quick check to see if his friends had seen him and back to my van to get some extra tie off line, and off to the far side of the bay to look for him. Once there it did not take long to find him down in the water about 10 feet from shore with his equipment rolled up and stacked on his board. Need a hand I offered, oh yeah came the reply. We quickly tied his board off to mine and I dragged him all the way across the bay back to the launch area. That walk around would have taken hours and then there "Rondeau Joes"  roadhouse, just outside the park for supper and the ride home.

We had almost made it back to our residence when the storm hit. With a ferocity I have not seen in a long time. Rain vertical and the scene reminiscent of a hurricane movie. The next morning we surveyed the damage here in Riverside area much flooding and power outages and many trees down. Wow must have been 2.0 conditions!!!!

Views: 11

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, Don, it sounds like you had a full day - rescues and all.  

For me, still haven't sailed in 2011!  (in MI that is)

RSS

Forum

Wind Talk

Anything Related to Wind and Water Sports

287 discussions

Session Report

Post About a Recent Session, or Plan One

145 discussions

Windsurfing Launches

Post Info, Directions, and Photos about Launches in MI and the Great Lakes

18 discussions

Gear 4 Sale or WTB

Sell Your Gear, or Find Stuff

172 discussions

DaNews

Hit Count Since 4-7-2010

© 2024   Created by Brian.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.ningbar {background-image:url("http://webdeveloper.com/animations/holiday/christmas/gifs/xmas_light.gif");background-repeat:repeat-x;} div#xn_bar_menu:before{ content: ""!important; position: absolute!important; width: 100%!important; height: 35px!important; left: 0%!important; z-index:9999!important; background: url(http://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/964749975?profile=original); background-repeat:repeat-x!important; top: 25px!important;}